What do I need to know about teaching in Thailand?

Teach to Travel’s Thai positions are all based in both the south and the center of Thailand. The positions themselves are government primary and secondary schools. The teacher has a choice between teaching in the primary or secondary tiers, and will be expected to sign a 10-month contract. 6-month contracts are also applicable, but are less common.

The positions are usually in Lop Buri, Suri Buri, Surat Thani, Hat Yai, and Songkhla. Other areas include Trang, Rayong, Phetchabun and Ranong. More than 70 teachers a year participate in this program.

The start dates for these positions are in May and November, in line with the Thai school year. This can be stretched if absolutely necessary, but teachers are normally expected to be in Thailand by the beginning of each month.

If you are looking to teach in an exotic and fun location, then you have come to the right place!

Apply for roles in Thailand

Submit your application here.

Teaching & Living

What’s the culture and lifestyle in Thailand?

Teach in Thailand and experience South East Asia at its best. Thailand has everything you could ever imagine—from beautiful landscapes, serene beaches, appetizing delicacies, fun parties to hospitable people. With the low cost of living, tourists come from all over the world to visit Thailand and eventually end up staying longer than they’ve planned—which certainly proves that the Land of Smiles is a great place to be.

Job requirements

Am I eligible to apply?

You need to meet the following criteria in order to apply for this position:

  • English as a native language
  • A bachelor’s degree
  • A teaching qualification (e.g. TEFL / TESOL / CELTA)
  • Less than 45 years of age


What do I need to know about my accommodation?

  • Rent is about 3000 – 5000 Thai Baht per month
  • Bills (e.g. gas, electricity, and water) are about 700 – 1200 Thai Baht per month.
  • The schools will assist you in finding your accommodation.
  • You will have to put down a 1 month equivalent damage deposit when renting the property.

Visa process

How do I apply for a visa?

You will need to apply for a Non-Immigration B-Visa at your nearest Thai consulate. You have a choice of applying for either the single entry, or multi entry visa. Either will do, and it depends on whether or not you intend to leave the country when you are teaching. You will also need a welcome letter from the school you are teaching in, which normally takes 3 working days to process.

When working in Thai government schools, you will also have to participate in a Thai culture course. This is now mandatory under Thai law, and is necessary for obtaining your Thai teaching license. This is done in Thailand, upon arrival, and normally takes 2 – 5 working days to complete.


Key Facts

Thai Baht
67 million


Teach to Travel