Hong Kong

What do I need to know about teaching in Hong Kong?

Teach to Travel’s Hong Kong positions are based in and around Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories. There are a number of other areas which are also serviced, however, these positions are only available at different times of the year. The positions themselves consist of two strands – we have kindergarten (private and public schools), catering to 2 – 6 year olds, and the ESL positions which cater to all ages and are based in language centres.

Apply for roles in Hong Kong

Submit your application here.

Teaching & Living

What’s the culture and lifestyle in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is a place where the east and west, and the modern and old-world meet. It is the perfect place to experience a new culture, while still being in a place that is familiar.

Hong Kong has always been known as a place where various cultures come together to exchange wealth and ideas. It first came to international attention when it was ceded by the Qing dynasty to Britain along with Kowloon and the New Territories after it lost the First Opium War.

Under British rule, Hong Kong thrived as a centre of international trade which was further bolstered by a large wave of immigrants. Now having transformed into a service based economy under China, it follows the “One country two systems” rule which allows it a high degree of autonomy and self-government and consequently retains its commitment to free speech and trade.

A food lover in Hong Kong will always have choices, as most of the world’s popular cuisines are represented. “Traditional” Hong Kong cuisine is heavily influenced by Cantonese cooking but also features the other styles of Chinese cooking as well, including Shanghainese, Northern (or Beijing), or Sichuanese.  As for westerners looking for something more familiar, great restaurants with French, Italian, and American food is definitely not difficult to find.

Job requirements

Am I eligible to apply?

You need to meet the following criteria in order to apply for this position:

  • English as a native language
  • A bachelor’s degree
  • A teaching qualification (such as TEFL/TESOL/CELTA/PGCE)
  • Less than 40 years of age


What do I need to know about my accommodation?

  • Accommodation is provided by the schools.
  • This accommodation will be a shared apartment, and will be located close to the school locations.
  • You will need to put down a small damage deposit.
  • Alternatively you can get your own accommodation outside of the provided- but you will receive around 5000 HKD housing allowance.

Visa process

How do I apply for a visa?

The Hong Kong visa process is a very quick and easy affair. You will simply need to fill out some forms and send them via email to Hong Kong. The schools in Hong Kong will be sponsoring your work permit.


Key Facts

Hong Kong Dollar
7.2 million
Chinese & English
Hong Kong
Humid subtropical


Teach to Travel